For those who want to be in the thick of it, then pick a hotel near Union Square. Surrounded by some of San Francisco’s best shops (a lot of designer outlets) and a number of theatres, plus you’re just a skip and a jump from Fisherman’s Wharf and Golden Gate Bridge. With this being such a focal point of the city many hotels have sprung up here over the years – some, well, better than others! This is where our hotel experts have stepped in. Looking for a hotel that serves up some mean cocktails? Or would you rather a chic boutique? Our Hotel Gurus have got you covered. So why not scan through our list of the best hotels in Union Square, San Francisco, to start planning your trip?
FOR A BOUTIQUE
- The Inn at Union Square has the feeling of staying in a home, albeit a very smart one. The 30 rooms are designed with a contemporary spin on traditional design. The perfect city crashpad with a laidback vibe and central location.
- Hotel Triton is a chic boutique stay designed with hygge in mind. Rooms are contemporary yet homely. Downstairs is a superb French bistro and gelato bar which make this a very alluring choice!
- Hotel G is a smart boutique stay with design comprising of that heady mix of perfectly crafted old and new. The sleek small plate seafood restaurant, Ayala, has made this (unsurprisingly) somewhat of a foodie destination.
- Hotel Nikko is a sleek contemporary hotel with subtle Asian touches to the design. A large indoor pool, sauna, and steam room give this a luxury feel. However the Japanese-Californian restaurant ANZU really draws the crowds for its innovative cuisine and superb wine list.
- For Michelin starred dining pick the Taj Campton Place. Feast on exceptional Mediterranean inspired cuisine in the grand dining room. With spot on service and elegant interiors, this is a special stay.
FOR A LANDMARK HOTEL
- The Clift Royal Sonesta is an historical hotel and something of a San Franciscan institution. Housed in a building dating from 1916, the interiors have been renovated creating smart luxury rooms. The wood panelled Redwood Room Bar is a popular and elegant spot for a cocktail.
FOR A LIVELY STAY
- The Zeppelin is a stylish hotel just a stroll from Union Square. Complete with a games room and featuring regular live music events and an atmospheric bar – this is a great evening destination.
- At Hotel Emblem the sangria on arrival sets the tone for this hip hotel. Rooms feature sink-into beds, large artworks and luxury bathrooms. The bar and games room downstairs give this hotel a convivial vibe.